Academic Upgrading – Kirkland Lake Campus
- Academic Upgrading is a tuition free program. Cost is a $20 fee, paid to the Northern College Student Association. We provide a customized bridge that takes students from where they are (determined by an entry assessment) to where they want to be (determined by their goal). Academic Upgrading program is funded by the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development. According to Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development guidelines, a learner must be:
- An Ontario resident and at least 19 years old (exceptions may apply)
- An adult whose literacy and basic skills are assessed at intake as being less than the end of Level 3 of the International Adult Literacy and Skills Survey (IALSS) or the OALCF
- Proficient enough in speaking and listening to benefit fully from the language of instruction
This Employment Ontario program is funded in part by the Government of Canada and the
Government of Ontario and through the Canada-Ontario Job Fund Agreement.
At the Kirkland Lake Campus, students should be able to work independently in a large classroom setting. Students access one-on-one coaching and feedback to support the learning activities they complete on their own. Students should be able to organize their time and assignments to make workable levels of progress towards long-term goals.
Academic Upgrading Schedule
The program runs 25 hours per week, Monday to Friday. We accommodate childcare and work schedules by customizing the school commitment. Some learners may qualify for training support allowances to help with travel and childcare expenses. Students receive a college student card, giving them access to college facilities, including a locker, and student discounts wherever they apply. We close for statutory holidays, two weeks at Christmas and the March Break. Our academic year starts just after Labour Day and runs into June. Students who do not complete their upgrading requirements may continue with us the following September.
Summer Session Information
Kirkland Lake Upgrading offers an 8-week summer session. It begins towards the end of June and runs until mid-August. This helps prepare students for the Fall program start. Generally, the summer session focuses on math, sciences and computers prerequisites. Communications is not offered (offerings depend on sufficient enrolment). If you are unable to attend a classroom environment, there is distance delivery. Visit Ace Distance Delivery and Ontario Learn for details.
- Cochrane Learning Centre
Tel: (705) 272-4188
Tel: (705) 672-3376 Ext. 8840
Iroquois Falls Adult Learning Centre
Tel: (705) 232-5433
Kirkland Lake Campus
Tel: (705) 567-9291 Ext. 3606
Tel: 705-336-2913 x5609
- Northern College Hearst Site Access Centre
27 10th Street, PO Box 3356
Hearst ON P0L 1N0
Northern College Access Centre Moose Factory
25 Pedabun Rd. Moose Factory, ON
Tel: 705-658-4726 x222
Tel: (705) 235-7240
Timmins Native Friendship Centre
705-268-6262 ext. 228