Forms for Transfer Credit, Challenge Exams and Prior Learning Assessments.
PLAR Reference Guide
Advanced Standing Details (PDF, 103 KB)
Advanced Standing Challenge Exam (PDF, 456 KB)
Advanced Standing Transfer Credit External (PDF, 458 KB)
Advanced Standing Credit Transfer Internal (PDF, 462 KB)
Advanced Standing Prior Learning (PDF, 457 KB)
How to Apply for External Transfer Credits (PDF, 140 KB)
Applications fees for Transfer Credits, Prior Learning Assessments and Challenge Exams are non-refundable. Deadline to apply for Advanced Standing is day 10 of the academic semester. Please refer to the Academic Calendar.
Contact Information for Advanced Standing Information
firstname.lastname@example.org | 705-235-3211 ext. 2190
Transfer Credit, Prior Learning Assessment and Challenge Exam (Reference Academic Policy A-4)
Courses Already Completed at Northern College (Internal)
Students may not need to repeat courses successfully completed at Northern College. To have the credit(s) recognized for your new program:
Meet with your Program Coordinator who will verify the course equivalency
• Complete the Request for Advanced Standing (Internal) application through your online Northern College student account portal.
• Use only one application for each transfer credit you are requesting
• There are no fees for applying for internal transfer credits
• Minimum grade requirements and currency of curriculum will be considered in the decision
• Normally, transfer credit will only be granted for courses completed within the last five (5) years
• The grade achieved in the original course will be calculated in your GPA
• Decisions will be communicated to the student by the Pathways Officer.
Transfer Credits (External)
Transfer of credits from Ontario Colleges of Applied Arts and Technology and other public colleges and universities will be considered on a course-by- course basis. Transfer credits will be granted when, in the opinion of the college, the work covered is equivalent in objectives and evaluation standards to the corresponding course of study at Northern College. To have the credit(s) from another institution recognized for your new program, complete the request for Advanced Standing (External) form and submit it along with the required documentation to:
email@example.com | 705-235-3211 ext. 2190
• Use only one form for each transfer credit you are requesting
• Consult with the Pathways Officer if you need assistance or direction.
• Pay required Transfer Credit fees. Currently, fees are $25.00 per transfer request with a maximum of $200.00. Payment can be submitted at Student Services on campus or through your online student account.
• Attach the following to your completed application:
• Course outline from each previous successfully completed course you wish to use for a transfer credit.
• Official transcript from your previous institution.
• Receipt of payment
• Forward all paperwork to Pathways Officer
• Processing of the Request for Advanced Standing will not proceed until payment, course outlines and official transcript have been received
• Pathways Officer will work in conjunction with your Program Coordinator for Assessment. Normally, transfer credit will only be granted for courses completed within the last five (5) years. Decisions will be communicated to the student by the Pathways Officer.
• The approved Transfer Credit is recorded as “TC” on your transcript and will not be factored into your GPA.
Challenge by Exam
Students who feel they have the required knowledge (through audit, informal studies, OAC’s, experience, etc.) to address the course outcomes, may apply for challenge by exam by completing the following procedures:
• Complete the Request for Advanced Standing (Challenge Exam) form and submit it to Services Office at your campus
• Use only one form for each Challenge Exam you are requesting
• Pay required Challenge Exam fees to the Student Services Office
• Bring the signed Advanced Standing Form to your Program Coordinator
• Program Coordinator will schedule an Exam date
• The grade achieved on the challenge exam shall be recorded on the student’s transcript
• A student who fails a Challenge Exam may not challenge the course again until one full academic semester has passed
• Students may not challenge a course more than twice. If the student is unsuccessful after two challenges, he/she will have to retake the course
Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR)
Knowledge and skills gained through life experiences may be assessed for credit through the process of PLAR. Assessment may take form of written portfolios, demonstrations, testimonials, tests, projects, etc. To apply:
• Complete the Request for Advanced Standing (Prior Learning Assessment Recognition) form and submit it to Services Office at your campus Use only one form for each PLAR you are requesting
• Pay required Prior Learning Assessment Recognition fees to the Student Services Office
• Student Services will then direct the student to the College designated PLAR staff member
• Credit obtained through PLAR will be recorded as “CR” on the student’s transcript and will not be factored into the GPA
IMPORTANT FOR ALL ADVANCED STANDING REQUESTS
• Students MUST continue to attend classes in the course until a decision has been made
• The decisions and/or grades assessed by the Academic staff are final and are not subject to appeal
• Should a student’s status drop from full-time to part-time, as a result of transfer credits, they are encouraged to meet with their program coordinator to select other courses (if possible) to add to their timetable. A change in status can affect funding from OSAP.