Program Title – General Arts and Science
Credential Earned Certificate or Diploma
Delivery Full Time, Contact North, Distance Learning
Program Length 2 Semesters, *4 Semesters (G045)
Program Status Open
- Tuition and Fees Distance Learning Career Coach
Program codes are for September intakes except those that are indicated differently.
Course codes ending in W mean a January intake.
General Arts and Science – Preparation 1 Year Certificate
G165 (PC) Timmins Campus
General Arts and Science 1 Year certificate (Exploratory)
G277 (HL) Haileybury Campus
G276 (KL) Kirkland Lake Campus
G278 (OL) Open Learning
G278S May start
G261 (PC) Timmins Campus
January 2021 Intake
G279W (CK) Contact North Kirkland Lake
GAS Exploratory – 2 year program Timmins campus only
G045 (PC) Timmins Campus September start only. * 4 Semesters.
Additional Information Regarding: Semesters 3 & 4 (Diploma Program)
Twenty courses at a post-secondary level are required for a two-year diploma. Students who choose the diploma option of the General Arts and Science program will select courses they wish to study. Students who have NOT completed Year 1 of College Exploration G261, must complete the 4 mandatory courses (Communication I and Communications II and Computer Applications I and Computer Application II).
Students can choose from the following options:
1. General Arts and Science – College Preparatory Pathway to obtain a one-year Northern College Certificate of Achievement.
2. General Arts and Science – College Exploration and University Transfer Pathway to obtain a one-year certificate.
3. General Arts and Science to obtain a two-year diploma.
This program is a flexible program that provides students with access to a wide variety of post secondary options. While exploring different areas of study such as community services, business, health sciences, and technology and working toward a college certificate or diploma, students earn credits that may be transferred to other college programs or university. The program focuses on developing enhanced skills in communication, critical thinking and computer literacy to build a solid foundation for future studies and career success. This program offers students the opportunity to:
- Design a program of study that upgrades their qualifications for other university and college programs.
- Obtain a general post-secondary education before deciding on a career path.
- Personalize a program of study based on their goals and interests.
- Earn credits that can be transferred to a variety of program areas at college or university.
- Attend college even if they have been unable to gain entry into the program of their choice due to limited enrolment.
Upon completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Develop communication skills to a level required by business and industry
- Use critical thinking and problem-solving techniques
- Develop a general knowledge of a variety of subjects that will contribute to developing insights into self and society
- Function successfully in a post-secondary educational environment
- Transfer the credits gained in approved courses towards a baccalaureate (B.A./B.Sc) at selected universities or to other college programs.
Upon graduation, students may find employment in all occupations requiring a general education or with firms/agencies that provide their own training. A wide variety of entry-level positions exist in all economic sectors, such as business, finance, retail and sales, hospitality, arts, culture, recreation and sports. Many graduates of this program continue their studies in other college or university programs.