The global network of leaders in mining and related technologies; Successful and sustainable in all resource enterprises.
To ensure our students an accessible, challenging educational experience that leads the global mining community.
Commitment. HSM is committed to:
- Being creative, optimistic, flexible educators and lifelong learners
- Assuring we are open, consultative, accountable, and that we act with personal responsibility and integrity
- Maintaining a caring, friendly atmosphere
- Pursuing partnerships and entrepreneurial opportunities to better serve our stakeholders
- Using our resources responsibly and ethically
- Developing employability linked to global opportunities
- Enhancing the participation/enrolment of international students locally and abroad
- Serving as a global center of excellence and innovation in the resource sector Guiding Principles
- Learn to earn
- Portable skills for global careers
- Real-world, hands-on experience
- Learning for life
- Value for your learning investment
- Responsiveness and responsibility to our communities
Revised Mining Curriculum Highlights
- The review and revision of the Mining curriculum was held in consultation with HSM’s Governing Council on Mining, faculty, and representatives of the mineral resources industry in Ontario.
- The two-year diploma program will continue to offer a solid foundation in math, geology, mining methods, mineral processing and analytical methods.
Safety and loss control will receive even greater emphasis at the request of industry.
- Excellent communication skills and soft skills (i.e. supervision and “people skills”) were also identified as needs in the consultation process and will be featured prominently in the new curriculum.
- New courses in the two-year diploma program include Mining Economics, Project Management, and Ground Control and Ventilation.
Compressed courses allowing for more industry participation, guest experts, and field trips will add to the practical aspect of the program.