Admission to a Post-Secondary Diploma or Certificate Program
To be eligible you must possess the equivalent of an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) and required courses as noted on specific program pages.
- Upper Secondary School Certificate with a minimum grade of 6.5 in relevant subjects
- English Proficiency requirements as outlined below.
- Students must submit scanned copies of the original certified secondary school transcripts for diploma programs and college or university transcripts for postgraduate programs.
- All documents must be accompanied by a notarized English translation.
International Credential Assessments
An Assessment Report is required, describing your level of education completed internationally for Comparable Canadian Standards. Northern College would prefer ICAS Assessment Reports as all levels of education – secondary, post-secondary and technical – can be assessed. Northern College will recognize and accept Assessment Reports from the following Service Providers:
- International Credential Assessment Service of Canada
- University of Toronto – Comparative Education Service
- World Education Services
English as a Second Language – Proficiency Tests
Proficiency Tests for International applicants for whom English is a second language must demonstrate proficiency in both spoken and written English by taking the following:
International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
IELTs Academic – Issued with past 2 years
Certificate and Diploma studies:
• Overall IELTS score of 6.0 with no individual Band score under 6.0; however, we will accept one band at 5.5.
• Practical Nursing, Paramedic, Personal Support Worker, and Instrumentation and Control Engineering Technician require an overall IELTS score of 6.0 with no individual Band score under 6.0
Degree and Graduate programs
• Overall IELTS score of 6.5 with no individual Band score under 6.0
Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic
- Certificate studies: 51+
- Diploma studies: 58+
- Advanced Standing and Post-Graduate Diploma programs: 60+
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
A score of 550 paper and 213 computer-based; 79-IBT.
For additional details see: Test of English as a Foreign Language