The course content meets the training requirements under section 19 of Ontario Regulation 278/05 “Designated Substance-Asbestos on Construction Projects and in Buildings and Repair Operations” for performing Types 1 and 2 asbestos work.
- Identify asbestos uses, potential locations, and common types of asbestos-containing materials (ACM) in buildings.
- Describe health hazards and effects of asbestos exposure.
- Learn about the Ontario Regulation 278/05:
- List owner and contractor responsibilities
- Discuss classification of asbestos operations
- Examine measures and procedures for Types 1 & 2 asbestos work operations (i.e., work area setup, personal protective equipment, worker hygiene practices, work practices, waste packaging, work area cleaning, respiratory protection)
- Review Statistics Canada safe work procedures (as provided in the RFP).
- Recognize asbestos waste transportation and disposal procedures by reviewing applicable requirements under the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act and R.R.O. Regulation 347.
- Participate in a hands-on exercise: Construction of a simple Type 2 enclosure and demonstration of Type 1 work.
- Learn about half-face respirators with P100 filter cartridges.
Asbestos Type 3 Abatement Worker
The course content follows the curriculum set by MTCU (Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities) for the Type 3 Asbestos Abatement Worker training program (AAW 253W).
- Identify uses and common types of asbestos-containing materials (ACM) in buildings.
- Describe health effects of asbestos exposure.
- Review the Ministry of Labor Regulation 278/05.
- Examine regulatory requirements for asbestos waste transportation and disposal.
- Review other provincial health and safety legislation relevant to Type 3 asbestos work.
- Discuss other hazards in Type 3 asbestos work.
- Review measures and procedures, personal protective equipment, and decontamination (hygiene) practices for Type 3 asbestos work.
- Learn about Type 3 asbestos work operations.
- Participate in a “mock” exam, fashioned in a similar format to the MTCU’s test.
- Prior to the course, it is essential that the employer register as a “Signing Authority” with MTCU (Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities) otherwise the training may be deemed void. Contact your local MTCU office to arrange this.
- The MTCU ’s AAW253W exam is administered separately.
- The Signing Authority is responsible for maintaining documentation for all participants, arranging the exams, and submitting the necessary documentation to the MTCU .
The AAW 253 W Exam will be administered at our approved facility Northern College Timmins Campus only. To book your test, please contact Monique Seguin at email@example.com.
Kirkland Lake Campus | 705-567-9291 ext. 1-3667
Timmins Campus | 705-235-3211 ext. 1-2270