• What is fatigue and related concepts (i.e. fatigue risk, factors that contribute to fatigue and the times of the day that fatigue is at its peak).
• The causes, consequences and costs of fatigue.
• The effects of fatigue on safety, performance, efficiency and individual health.
• The individual, organizational and environmental causes of fatigue.
• What is sleep and related concepts (i.e. consequences of sleep deprivation, circadian rhythm).
• The positive, negative, and overall individual consequences of shift work and other forms of non-traditional hours of work (impact on the individual).
• What are high, intermediate, and low glycemic index foods and their impacts on alertness.
• The importance of water consumption and why being hydrated is critical for alertness.
• The effects of caffeine and alcohol on personal alertness.
• The various positive lifestyle choices individuals can choose from in order to promote the effective long-term management of fatigue and overall wellness (physical exercise, well-being, prevention).
• Be able to recognize the signs of fatigue in themselves and others, and take appropriate action to manage their own fatigue.
• Gain competence in monitoring potential causes of fatigue and devise action plans to minimize their effects.
• Enhance their competence in identifying personal warning signs of fatigue and appropriate counter-measures to ensure that effective work/shift capability and alertness are maintained.
• Appreciate the individual differences that influence the capacity to adapt to shift work and other non-traditional hours of work. Grasp ways of establishing a sleeping environment that can promote individual sleep.
• Gain confidence in communicating and sharing personal fatigue management strategies with colleagues at all levels of the organization.
• Determine whether individuals are drinking enough water daily to stay hydrated and alert.
• Appreciate the value of adopting healthy and effective practices to manage fatigue as it relates to their work and life balance.
Cost: $169.50 (HST included)
Tel: 705-235-3211 ext. 2270