The online Certificate in Health, Safety and Environmental Processes (CHSEP) is designed for individuals with the responsibility of managing and supporting occupational health and safety within their organization. CHSEP focuses on essential process skills required to succeed as an Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) practitioner and will develop your ability to identify, prioritize and manage workplace risks. The program is delivered entirely online, which means you will be able to continue working in your professional occupation, while studying independently.
Recommended by the Canadian Society of Safety Engineering (CSSE) and recognized for eligibility by the Board of Canadian Registered Safety Professionals (BCRSP), many graduates have successfully challenged the Board of Canadian Registered Safety Professionals (BCRSP) exams based on their knowledge gained from this program and use of the BCRSP Student Guide. For more information on pursuing your Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) designation, visit BCRSP website at www.bcrsp.ca.
Outline and Certification
The Foundation courses provide the core knowledge and skills required by all Occupational Health, Safety and Environment (OHSE) practitioners. The Advanced courses provide additional knowledge for those in, or seeking, leadership roles in their OHSE careers. Courses can also be taken independent of the certificate program.
Six mandatory core courses:
- HS 0100 – Management and Organizational Behaviour
- HS 0200 – Incident Causation and Investigation
- HS 0300 – Risk Assessment
- HS 0700 – Approaches to Safety Management
- HS 0900 – Occupational Hygiene
- HS 1205 – Environmental Management Foundations
Two core courses and four electives:
- HS 0400 – Effective Workplace Training (core)
- HS 0500 – Due Diligence and Compliance
- HS 0600 – Total Quality Management
- HS 0800 – Ergonomics Foundations (core)
- HS 1000 – Workplace Wellness
- HS 1100 – Program Ownership and Motivation
- HS 1210 – Environmental Management Applications
- HS 1300 – CHSEP Independent Study
- HS 1500 – Emergency Planning
- HS 2000 – Guided Practicum*
*Students who choose the Guided Practicum as their final elective will be awarded with an Applied Certificate in Health, Safety, and Environmental Processes (Applied CHSEP). The Applied Certificate prepares learners for leadership roles in OHSE by enhancing critical thinking and developing advanced process skills. The Guided Practicum provides students with an opportunity to apply what they have learned in the courses to workplace environments.
- 10 weeks to complete any individual course
- One year to complete Foundations Courses when enrolled in the entire level at once
- One year to complete Advanced Courses when enrolled in the entire level at once
- Students choosing the Applied CHSEP path will have an additional 6 months to complete the Guided Practicum
Entire Certificate $6,920.00
Foundation Courses $3,510.00
Advanced Courses $3,510.00
Individual Courses $585.00
* This program is eligible for Second Career Funding.
For more information, contact:
Northern Training Division
Northern College Timmins Campus