The College is now closed to the public and all College events are cancelled. Northern has suspended face-to-face instruction and is transitioning to remote learning. All other services for students will be by appointment only. More details can be found on our website and blackboard.
The objective of this course is to teach participants how to draw blood and obtain specimens promptly, efficiently, and safely from patients. Participants will learn how to use a syringe, prepare the patient, dispose of contaminated supplies and much more. During the course participants will be expected to perform venipuncture and capillary draws on each other. Please dress casually. Certificates will be issued to participants who attend all instructional hours and successfully complete two venipuncture’s and one capillary draw. Tuition may be eligible for funding through the Nursing Education Initiative (NEI). For more information, please contact either the Registered Practical Nurses Association of Ontario (RPNAO) or the Registered Nurses’ Association of Ontario (RNAO).
- Blood components used for testing
- Equipment (tubes, needles, holders, tourniquet)
- Prior Preparation (orders, tube selection, patient assessment)
- Preparing the patient (conversation, tourniquet, assess vein, cleanse area)
- Preforming venepuncture
- Special considerations
- Problems, solutions and complications
- Risks and Prevention
- Disposal of contaminated supplies
- Use of a syringe
- Patient instructions
- Capillary samples (finger, heel)
- Sterile samples for blood culture
Dates and times: TBA