International – Study Permits

It is important that once you arrive in Canada you must keep copies of all important documents (i.e. Passport, Study Permit, Health Insurance Card, etc.) in a safe place, and take note of your documents’ expiry dates.

For tips on how to fill out the CIC online Work Permit application, please review our Work Permit Application Guide. For more details, visit the Co-op/Internship page of Citizenship and Immigration Canada website: Work as a co-op student or intern.

All travellers entering Canada require a passport from their home country. If you are already in Canada and need to renew your passport, consult Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada’s list of foreign diplomatic representatives in the country here. Make sure you have a passport that is valid for at least 1 year.

Study Permit
A Study Permit is your official permission to study in Canada. You can find out more by visiting the Citizenship and Immigration Canada web site. Obtaining your Study Permit can take 1 – 6 months, so start the application process as soon as possible.

How do I Apply for a Study Permit?
You can apply for the Study Permit through the nearest Canadian Visa Office (or online if you are eligible for this option). A processing fee of $125 applies. (U.S. citizens can apply at the Port of Entry upon arrival in Canada – no advance application is required). You may need to undergo a medical examination. Please consult the Immigration Medical Exam section of Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s website for details. Students from certain countries may also require a Temporary Entry Visa (also known as an “Entry Visa”) to enter Canada.

Students in programs of study with mandatory co-op terms must obtain a Co-op Work Permit (along with their Study Permit prior to arriving in Canada. Students can expect delays if they wait until they arrive in Canada). Please refer to the Student Work Permit section.