Second Career Checklist

  • Visit Your Local Employment Options Emploi Centre: Meet with an Employment Consultant to be assessed for Second Career eligibility. Employment Options Emploi offices can be located in Timmins (705-268-3033), Kirkland Lake (705-567-9238), and Temiskaming Shores (705-647-7077).
  • Apply to one of the many Second Career-funded Northern College programs through
  • Make sure to select the box that indicates that you are an agency sponsored Second Career applicant. If you have questions about your online application, please contact OCAS directly at 1-888-892-2228. After reviewing your application, you will be sent a Northern College letter of acceptance if you meet the requirements for entry into your program.
  • Letter of Support: If you have been accepted to your program, contact Northern College’s Second Career Specialist to obtain a program support letter. The Second Career support letter will describe the terms of your acceptance, the length of the program, start and end dates as well as scheduled breaks, tuition and college fees, books, as well as any other fees related to your program.
  • Complete the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development Application Package. Visit your Employment Consultant to go over your application and ensure that all of the necessary documentation has been included in your application to the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development.
  • Your application will then be sent to the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development and you will be assigned a case worker.
  • Pay Your Deposit & Present Your Contract: Once you have been accepted, pay your deposit and registration fee to secure your seat in your program. When you receive and sign a copy of your approved Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development Second Career Contract, bring it to Northern College’s Student Services at the campus you will be studying at.
  • Begin Your Program on the Scheduled Start Date.
  • Be sure to keep all receipts for tuition, books, and anything related to your studies throughout the year and send them to your caseworker. You will need to show proof of your tuition, books, and related study material costs in order to receive funding for your 2nd year of studies (if you have enrolled in a 2-year program).